Application to the CLM program is made not only on the part of the literacy coaching candidate but also on the part of the school and the district. Applying for the program is an explicit commitment by the coach, the principal, the school's faculty, and the superintendent to join with the PCL network in transforming their literacy teaching according to the principles of effective practice articulated in the PCL features, standards, and guidelines.
Program Admission Requirements
Coaching applicants must:
A final requirement is that the coach's school must have Reading Recovery as one of the components of its literacy program.
- hold a master's degree in literacy education or other related field;
- hold a valid teaching license;
- be employed as literacy coach in their school or be under contract to be the literacy coach during the preparation year;
- have a minimum of three years of teaching experience; and
- meet UNI requirements for admission to graduate study.
The applicant's principal, director of curriculum and instruction (or equivalent, if applicable), and superintendent must also complete the appropriate sections of the application. These sections assure their commitment to adhere to the features, standards and guidelines of PCL and their support of the coaching applicant in the performance of the roles and responsibilities of a CLM Literacy Coach.